Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Jesus, remember me when you come in your kingly power



One of the criminals who were hanged railed at him saying, "Are you not the Christ? Save yourself and us!" But the other rebuked him saying "Do you not fear God since you are under the same sentence of condemnation? And we indeed justly; for we are receiving the due reward of our deeds; but this man has done nothing wrong." And he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come in your kingly power." And He said to him, "Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in paradise."



One of them despairs. One of them pours out his heart and to Christ while the other is blaspheming. One repents, the other requests pardon. One is prayerful in his appeal, the other is demanding.

While this story has been debated on many sides to determine whether or not this man was baptized or not, whether or not there is purgatory or not, whether or not Paradise meant one thing or another, there is a beautiful picture here outside of biblical scholar hood that we can all agree on. Both thief's on the cross recognized Christ but their hearts toward knowing him were completely different. This should so much impart to us that simply knowing the name of Christ does not constitute a true understanding of who He is. Simply knowing Christ is God doesn't even give the best picture. What do we learn from this interaction: Christ made possible salvation to the world and with that gift He also gave us an intimate way to know Him and we are called to be devoted to Him. The first thief treats Jesus like a get out of jail free card where the second thief doesn't even ask for salvation, he simply asks to be remembered. For God's mercy.



This brings me back to Jesus speaking about the pharisee and tax collector. Jesus always was looking for hearts that were crying out for mercy to the Father just as Jesus in His earthly life called for God’s mercy on himself.



Friends which thief are you? Are you crying out to God in blasphemy or are you prayerfully and whole heartedly begging your savior to remember you knowing He has the power to save you. Friends be the second thief. I say this knowing I’m the first thief too often in my own life. Too often do I reject God in the choices I make and yet ask God “please help me” in this that or the other when I feel stuck. Too many times I can remember doing what I want to on Saturday night but begging for Him to bless me on Sunday morning. We are either for Him or against Him. Thankfully God has grown me and I find myself more on the side of the second thief amazed by the power of Christ and asking Him to please just remember me knowing it’s only by His grace I’ll be saved. Often I find myself unworthy and am overwhelmed by the grace and peace Christ gives me. All is a gift and nothing earned and I pray God would grow my heart more and more to be the second thief and destroy the parts of my heart that look like that of the first thief. Let us reflect on Christ’s ability to save us and on the state of our heart. Let this reflection move you to repentance.



<3

Anita

No comments:

Post a Comment